Sunday, July 24, 2011

This Old House!


So I decided I wanted to keep some kind of journal on this old house my
husband and I bought. It sits in the middle of the orange groves in Riversides
Historic Citrus Belt District.

This is my first attempt at Blogging, so readers, bare with me!

First, facts about the old house. Built in 1930. White adobe walls, dark
hardwood floors, some exposed dark beams in the ceiling of the living room. 3
bedrooms on the main level. (they added a 4th up on the flat roof, with a
French door leading outside so you can sit on the roof!) There is only one
bathroom, its on the main level. There is also a full size basement! Its not a
finished basement, but this way Robin and I can build it to what we want! (I
intent to put another bathroom down there! Robin? He wants a man cave of
course!)

So you can see the front of the house. Kinda sad, isn't it? The house has not
really been lived in for awhile and it needs some T.L.C. But Rob and I have
nothing but time, and we think we can fix this place up to shine! (eventually!)

There is no paved driveway, its just dirt. Gotta fix that before the rain
comes! At the very least we're going to put down some grave to drive on .

The house sits on a half acre of land, in the shape of Nevada turned upside
down. at the very back is a large, old avocado tree that a grapevine, running
wild, tried to kill.

Yes, I said a grapevine and its an uncontrollable monster! Its taken over
half the yard! Running up all the fruit trees and across the lawn!

So far I have found on the property a fig tree, a pomegranate, two citrus,
(maybe orange or grapefruit) two apple, a peach, an I think an apricot, and of
course the old avocado! I'm sure theres more, as I find them, I will add them.
I have also found some old gardening beds, the boards sunk down into the earth.
Planning on reviving those A.S.A.P. It would be nice to grow veggies again!

The man who has been the caretaker told me he has seen a large Varity of
wildlife and to watch out for the pets. He's seen owls large enough to care off
a cat; (Must have been a barn owl!) also he's seen possum, skunk, raccoon and a
really large feral cat, (bobcat?) and the occasional wayward turtle from the
Gage canal. We are very close to the canal. No problem about that turtle, one
of my plans is to put in a koi pond, that turtle can just make itself at home!

I guess thats all for now. Getting ready to go back and clean a little more
today. The years of neglect shows with the amount of dust and debrie! The big
move happens next weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment